The Captials were able to extend their winning streak to 14 games, beating the Penguins 5-4 in overtime.
Alex Ovechkin came up big for Washington, scoring three goals (The Caps' first hat trick of the season). This was after he was boarded in the first period, a call that was never made by the referees. They missed several during the game and even made a few bad ones, specifically the slashing penalty in the third period on Jeff Schultz that wasn't.
Lucikly, that penalty, called when the game was 4-4, didn't hurt the Caps and they survived to go to overtime. That's when Washington's power play struck, Mike Knuble putting home a rebound on Ovechkin's shot.
Once again Washington played poorly to start the game and Sidney Crosby scored twice in the opening period to squash any talk of after effects from the Pens' crazy journey to DC.
- Watching the game made me realize what NBC actually stands for: NBC = Nothing But Crosby. Man, the network couldn't get enough of this guy. It seems like that's all they talked about and all they showed. As of the end of the game, Ovechkin is still on top of the goal scoring race, with 42 to Crosby's 39.
- Knuble has been an incredible find for the Caps. I was skeptical in the offseason, I knew he was a paint guy, but he was a little bit older in a team full of young guys. Doesn't seem to matter any more, he's been on fire as of late.
- Last year and this year combined, the Caps are 5-0-1 against the Penguins in the regular season. I don't know why we can dominate in the regular season, but fall apart in the playoffs. Maybe, I'm being a pansy and not wanting to confront the problem head on, but I hope we don't have to play Pittsburgh this year in the playoffs.
That's about it for now on the Caps game. I'm getting ready to watch the Super Bowl.
No comments:
Post a Comment